By Kerma Crouse
Jewell County Record 

Omio, Omio, Where art thou

 

January 10, 2019

For those who don't know, Omio was a Jewell County town located in Vicksburg and Grant townships. It centered around what is today the intersection of Omio Road (270 Road) and M Road about 3 miles south of Formoso. Though the town flourished during the 1880s, it is now relegated to brief mentions in historical books and the memories of a few.

Omio was founded in May of 1877 as the town of Huron. Land records in the Jewell County Courthouse show the original townsite was purchased by two men named Godding, C. W. Green and James Fogel, all trustees of the "Huron Town Company." By 1878, t...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020