The Superior Express -

My Crazy Life

 

April 22, 2021



My baby attended his junior prom Saturday. How time flies! He looked so handsome and grown up in his tux. It’s hard to believe he will be a senior next year. I’m not sure if I should be getting the baby photo’s out and crying or celebrating that he will be out of the house in another year or so. Technically I still have two more to go after Jacob, but being the evil step-mom, I’m not sure how involved I will get to be in any of that.

Tuesday evening, when the sirens went off, I grabbed my keys and my camera and headed out the door. I wasn’t actually planning on being able to find the fire but thought since it was dark, I’d have a better chance. Since George was asleep, I slipped out the back and noticed the flashing lights coming from my backyard. At first, I thought it was one of the vacant homes on the north side of the street, there was so much smoke in the air, and it was so still that it was hard to see where the smoke was coming from. It didn’t take long to realize it was not a vacant home that had caught fire, but our neighbors. Fayth, my son’s classmate, lived there, and he was in a panic texting her to make sure she was okay.

We stood in the yard for a long time. I, of course, took photos for the paper and felt sadness with every click of the shutter. I prayed for the family, I prayed for the volunteers, and I stood there watching until my eyes and chest burnt from the smoke. I wasn’t sure if everyone had gotten out safely, and I knew the family had pets. When we purchased this house, Tim was having a time keeping the dogs in. They would come to visit George and me in the yard, and we had grown fond of them. They were a nice distraction to our day.

I can’t imagine losing a home in that way. My home is my haven from all the craziness of this world. We joke that it’s a pocket dimension because it’s bigger on the inside than it seems from the outside. When we are home, the rest of the world falls away. Our home is like a member of the family. Fire is so devastating.

I had the privilege of speaking to Cathy this week about the fire. She is doing her best to remain optimistic, but you can tell she is still in shock from all of it. So if you don’t mind, please add the family to your prayers. X’s & O’s.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021