The Superior Express -

Fire leaves family homeless

Reeves home catches fire

 

April 22, 2021

Photo curtsey of Nelson Volunteer fire and rescue squad.

Firemen worked into the early hours of Wednesday morning after this Nelson home caught fire Tuesday evening. The firemen had to cut holes into the roof and sides of the home in order to get the blaze under control. It is believed that the fire started in the basement of the home.

Last Tuesday evening, around 9:45 p.m., the home of Tim Reeves, located at 235 W Gourlay in Nelson, caught fire. At the time of the fire Cathy Rook, Tim's significant other, her daughter, Fayth, and Tim's son, Jered, were home. Tim was finishing the late shift in Hastings when he got the call.

Cathy was settling in for the evening when she heard her daughter's cry for help from the basement. When Cathy opened the door to the basement stairs, she was met with a cloud of rolling smoke. Luckily she had her phone and was able to call 911. They left the home and were taken to Brodstone Memorial Hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation.

The family also had three dogs and a cat, two of the dogs escaped with the family. Jered went back in to try and rescue the other two family pets but was met with thick smoke, which made it hard to see, and the floor to the area of the home where the animals hid was falling in.

Photo curtsey of Nelson Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad.

Approximately 9:45 Tuesday evening the sirens went off in Nelson. A fire had broken out in the home of Tim Reeves located at 235 W. Gourlay. The Nelson Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad were on scene until the early morning hours putting this house fire out.

The fire department was forced to cut holes in the exterior walls and in the roof in order to get the blaze under control. The interior of the structure seems to be a complete loss. The family plans to salvage what they can, but at the moment, it is hard to tell what can be saved.

Cathy said the outpouring of love and generosity from the community has been amazing. Had this happened to her family while they lived in Lincoln, she felt they would have received little to no help from the community. This is Fayth's junior year at Lawrence-Nelson. Her prom dress was lost in the fire just days before the event. Several of her classmates got together to get her a new dress to wear to the event that was held Saturday.

The family is currently staying with Tim's father, Norman, and hopes to find a place to rent in Nelson. Cathy hopes her daughter will be able to finish the high school here. They would like to salvage the home but at this time they are unsure if that is possible. A Go-Fund-Me page has been set up to help the family, Lawrence-Nelson Public Schools have also started a fundraiser.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020