Saturday night fire destroys Nelson shop

 

October 26, 2023

Tammy Thayer

Friday evening, members of the Nelson Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire that broke out in a shop owned by Craig Corman. The shop is located on west Fifth Street, behind C&M Supply in Nelson. The fire restarted early Saturday morning, and once again volunteers responded. The Nebraska State Fire Marshall thought the fire was caused by a charger used to charge the battery on a hand tool. The extent of the monetary loss has not yet been determined. Photo by Tammy Thayer.

It was after 10 p.m. Saturday when a dispatcher working in the Nuckolls County Sheriff's Office located on Nelson's East Fourth Street looked outside the office and saw flames leaping into the sky.

She wasn't sure of the location but surmised it was near what was once the Baldridge shop located east of the current C&M Supply service station. A former grain storage quonset obscured her view to the west.

The Nelson Volunteer Fire Department was paged out. They found a fire about a block northeast of their fire barn had engulfed a metal building owned by Craig Corman.

It was a hot, spectacular bl...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Superior Express
Nuckolls County Locomotive Gazette
Jewell County Record

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2024

Rendered 05/30/2024 08:22