The Superior Express -

Rubens, once a flourishing town, now lies under lake

Rubens Post Office

 

October 21, 2021

This photo was shared on Ancestry.com in 2011 by Mr. Davis. The family is that of O. S. or Oliver S. Rice. He was the "Pioneer Merchant" of Rubens. He served two terms as postmaster. His son, O. L. Rice also served as postmaster. His daughter, Olive, was the last to serve as postmaster of the Rubens Post Office. She closed down the post office when it was discontinued on Oct. 5, 1900.

During the late1800s, near where Jewell County's Limestone and John's Creeks come together, the town of Rubens flourished. Today that area lies under Lovewell Lake.

Rubens began on Jan. 31,1871, when the Rubens Post Office was established. It was named for the first Rubens postmaster, William Rubens Scott. The Rubens Post Office served patrons, with one very short interruption, until Oct. 5, 1900, when the post office was discontinued. At that time, the Mankato Post Office began serving the area.

The first home in Rubens was a cabin built by William Scott, Samuel Sweet and Wilson McBrid...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021