Jewell Trinity Methodist Church Celebrates 150 Years

The history of Methodism in Jewell is almost simultaneous with the founding of Jewell City when the townsite was filed May 6, 1870. Services were held by local preachers, often outdoors under a shade tree or in an arbor of boughs.

The first Methodist preacher, assigned by the Kansas Conference, was the Rev. H.G. Breed, who arrived in Jewell April 1,1872. During those early years, the pioneers were caught up in the work of building homes and businesses. It took some time before the first Methodist Episcopal church building was built in 1873-74. Construction started in 1873, but hard times came...

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 
Rendered 06/22/2024 00:45